As the belly dance market shifts, so must our events and our practice.
One of the last-surviving belly dance festivals in the US, Tribal Revolution in Chicago, has changed their format slightly to offer more intensives with dancers seeking to deepen their practice and study more with a particular instructor.
This year, I’m so excited to be returning to teach and perform at Tribal Revolution. Tribal Revolution is a top-notch event, impeccably organized by dancer and promoter Christina King. I’ll be offering my first-ever Salimpour Sampler intensive. 8 hours of drilling, sweating, cymbals, getting stronger, and building community.
My intensive is for any dancer, regardless of experience. It’s structured to help you:
- Give you a comprehensive overview of the Salimpour Formats (everything you always wanted to know but were afraid to ask)
- Create more structure in your dance practice
- Set clear goals in your progression as a dancer
- Break through your technical and creative pleateaus
- Give context to your practice in the 21st century
- Deepen your knowledge of belly dance history and culture
- Join a global community of hard-working and friendly students
- Get stronger, develop your stamina, refine your technique
- Drill, sweat, and have fun doing it
Remember that the Salimpour Formats aren’t all about drills, isolations, or even “tribal style.” It’s a program that gives dancers a strong foundation in both the theory and practice of belly dance as a Middle Eastern performance tradition.
And speaking of traditions…
Christina is also hosting a stop on the Bal Anat 50th Anniversary Tour in November. And Suhaila herself will be teaching a Suhaila Format Level 1 workshop and some Jamila Salimpour format samplers in conjunction with the performance. Students who take my intensive at Tribal Revolution will receive a discount on these workshops…. and they’ll be better prepared.
The Salimpour Formats have influenced countless dancers around the world. If you’re coming to Tribal Revolution, and you’re curious to know what all the hype is about, check out my Salimpour Sampler. Don’t forget to bring your dance shoes, your favorite water bottle, and a notebook.
I can’t wait to dance with you!